Grease Fire in Boyceville
A grease fire can be big or small, regardless its size it is not a fun mess to clean up. Let the experts at SERVPRO of Barron, Dunn, and Rusk Counties come assist with the cleanup and restoration. Give us a call at 715-643-7171.
Follow these tips below if you do experience a grease fire:
- Cover the flames with a metal lid or cookie sheet. Leave the cover on until it has cooled.
- Turn off the heat source.
- If it’s small and manageable, pour baking soda or salt on it to smother the fire.
- As a last resort, spray the fire with a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher.
- Do not try to extinguish the fire with water.
- Do not attempt to move the pot or pan outside.
Do not use flour, baking powder or other cooking powders that resemble baking soda or salt – they have a different chemical makeup and will not react similarly. They will make the fire worse.
It’s also important to remember that three out of five non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victim tried to fight the fire themselves. The most common injuries sustained were burns to the hands and lower arms.